Sunday, February 19, 2012

Today in Manhunting History -- February 19, 1917: The Death of Frederick Funston

As pressure increased for America to enter World War I, Major General Frederick Funston -- hero of the hunt for Philippine insurgent leader Emilio Aguinaldo in 1901 -- emerged as the leading candidate to command the American Expeditionary Force.

On February 19, 1917, Secretary of War Baker threw a dinner party at his home with President Wilson as guest of honor. Major Douglas MacArthur, the son of Funston’s former commander in the Philippines, was on night watch duty for the General Staff. Peyton March, now a lieutenant colonel, was also on staff duty that night. At about 10PM, March brought MacArthur a telegram that both officers agreed was important enough to be delivered to Baker at once. MacArthur writes:

When I reached the Secretary’s home, the butler refused to let me enter, saying that he had orders to admit no one. The dining room looked out on the entrance hall and I could see it plainly. It was a gay party, with lights and laughter, the tinkle of glasses, the soft music from an alcove, the merry quips and jokes of a cosmopolitan group. I finally pushed by the butler and tried to attract the attention of the Secretary so I could report to him privately what had occurred. But the President saw me and sang out in the most jovial manner, “Come in, Major, and tell all of us the news. There are no secrets here.” There was a general clapping of hands at this, and I knew I was in for it. So clicked my heels together, saluted him, and barked in a drill-sergeant tone, “Sir, I regret to report that General Funston has just died.” Had the voice of doom spoken, the result could not have been different. The silence seemed like that of death itself. You could hear your own breathing. Then, I never saw such a scattering of guests in my life. It was a stampede.

Frederick S. Funston had survived the extremities of deserts, tundra, and jungles, multiple tropical diseases, and five wounds from enemy fire. While sitting in the lobby of the Saint Anthony Hotel in San Antonio, he heard an orchestra playing, and commented “How beautiful it all is,” when his own heart finally failed him at the age of 51. His body was the first to ever lay in state at the Alamo, before eventually being buried at the Presidio.

With Funston’s passing, “Black Jack” Pershing became the logical choice to command the American Expeditionary Force in France. He successfully led U.S. forces to victory in World War I, and was rewarded in 1919 with promotion to the artificial rank of six-star “General of the Armies,” a grade occupied only by himself and the posthumously promoted George Washington.


Major General Frederick Funston, 1865-1917



No comments:

Post a Comment