Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Shhh!!! Don't Tell The Missus (That I'm Going to Kill Bin Laden)!

Washington D.C. society is having its normal mini-flip-out over the latest White House tell all book, Jodi Kantor's The Obamas.

I'm not going to pretend that I've read the book or even that I really care about it.  But I did find one revalation oddly fascinated, specifically that President Obama kept the impending raid on Abbottabad, Operation Neptune's Spear, a secret from First Lady Michelle Obama for the three months the mission was being planned.

Think about the things you've been unable to resist revealing to your signifcant other (i.e. what really happened on that trip to Vegas; what your fraternity nickname really means; or how much that new purse/outfit really cost) . . . do any of them measure up to killing the world's most wanted man!?! 

I'm impressed, I think, and may try this as an excuse the next time some attempt to keep a secret from my wife fails miserably.  ("Honey, I couldn't tell you about the lap dance at Steve's bachelor party . . . she was involved in planning a raid against al-Qa'ida!) 

P.S.  For those interested, Slate's Jacob Weisberg's wife responds here.

No comments:

Post a Comment