Monday, May 16, 2011

"Enduring Battle"

Congratulations to my former officemate a decade ago at the (now, sadly defunct) Olin Institute for National Security Studies, Christopher Hamner, for the excellent notice his book "Enduring Battle: American Soldiers in Three Wars, 1776-1945" received in Saturday's Wall Street Journal

For anybody interested in military history, I strongly recommend Chris's book.  I haven't read it yet, but read several of his papers on the relationship between technology and combat motivation when he was writing his dissertation.  As I said at the time when I served as his reviewer at an academic seminar, his thesis was a "forehead slapper": it made me slap my forehead and wish I'd thought of that as a thesis topic!  The resulting work was fascinating, and I look forward to getting a copy soon. 

(Alas, my doctoral dissertation is lost for the ages, although I think my mother still has a copy . . . ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment